[Dailydrool] Remembering Pat

sandi at redbaybassets.com sandi at redbaybassets.com
Mon Mar 23 17:04:50 PDT 2020

I was thinking about Pat this morning (not unusual) and what she would think
about all the chaos that this one little virus is causing. That lead me to
thinking about the mess people get into with their own mouth, which reminded
me of this classic story about Pat and I buying a trailer. A little levity
is a good thing ... Keep Smiling!

Pat Stories - Buying a Trailer
Let me set the stage ... Pat and I were returning from Nationals in
Pennsylvania when she rolled the van and trailer (that is a whole other
story). At any rate, since it was October, we decided to wait until spring
to buy a new trailer. Well, it didn't happen like that.

My secretaries gave me a gift certificate for a massage. I made the
appointment for President's Day. The night before, we got about 10 inches of
snow, so my husband decided he would drive me to the appointment in his
truck which is a 4 x 4. It was a really good thing because the van would
have ended up stuck. So, while I was getting my hour long massage, he drove
about 2 miles down the road to the place where we always bought our
trailers. When he picked me up, he told me that he saw a trailer that he
thought both Pat and I would like. We went down to look at it ... and he was
right ... I liked it and I was sure Pat would too.

When we got home, I called Pat and told her about it. She said she would go
look at it the next day. But my husband, being the "terrier" that he is,
insisted that he would go pick her up in the truck and take her out to look
at it. She liked it also and she and I made plans to go play "let's make a
deal" the next day. That night, we got 5 more inches of snow, so we
postponed our trip out to the dealership. However, my brother stopped by my
house with his truck and he wanted to go see it, so he and I went out to
look at it. Finally, the next day, Pat and I went out there. Now here is
where it gets interesting.

Pat and I went into the dealership and said we wanted to look at the
trailer. The salesman looked at us like we were nuts ... there was snow, a
lot of snow, 15 inches of snow, he would have to shovel a path. We looked at
the trailer and went back in the building, dripping our wet boots all over
his office. We plopped down in the chairs across from his desk and after
some pretty aggressive negotiation, we arrived at a deal. The man didn't
have a chance ... Pat and I were good negotiators. Finally he got out the
paperwork and asked if we wanted him to arrange for financing. I said "Yes"
since it was my turn to buy the trailer. He looked at me and said, "Do you
want this in you and your husband's name?" Feeling particularly evil that
day, I replied "He's not my husband." So, he says to Pat "Oh, do you want
this in you and your husband's name?". She replied, "He's not my husband."
The salesman was flustered ... Pat and I looked at each other and blurted
out together "We share him." I thought the poor man was going to have
apoplexy. Then he dug the hole deeper and he asked me who the man was that I
came with later the previous afternoon. Again, feeling even more evil, I
told him "Oh, he is my 'boy toy'." So, feeling a little guilty, I told him
the trailer would be in my name. He turned bright red and got to work on the
paperwork. When he got to the financing part, he dug the hole clear through
to China when he said, "You know, you will have to have a co-signer on the
loan since your husband ... errrr... ummmm ... will not be on the title." I
felt Pat's hand grab my arm as I started to get out of the chair, ready to
crawl across the desk and choke this guy. I took a deep breath and told him,
"I won't need a co-signer, just run the financing." I filled out the form
and wrote down my employer and my salary. He looked at it and buried himself
somewhere south of China ... I swear this man had a death wish. He told me
"You know, most men don't make as much money as you do." Pat clamped her
hand down on my arm and threw her leg over my leg ... and I VERY LOUDLY TOLD
HIM ... "Most men aren't as smart as I am; most men don't have the education
I have; most men don't work as hard as I do; most men aren't as mean as I
am." He turned white, faxed the papers to the bank, and within 2 minutes had
an acceptance. Then the stupid guy had the gall to ask me if I was sure I
didn't want to put my husband on the title. Pat dragged me from the
dealership ... the salesman avoided me from then on, the dealership went out
of business the next year.