[Dailydrool] Pond problem

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 1 01:53:13 PST 2020

I have mentioned before that Hettie has a love of walking on high walls and the edge of the pond. Twice she slipped into the pond, but on both occasions she managed to stand on the ledge, which is usually about 12 inches below water until someone hauled her out. However, this hasn't happened for months and she appeared to be so sure-footed, I had stopped worrying.
WRONG.
Yesterday, the pond was extra full following recent bad weather. Despite the drizzle, I was outside dead-heading plants, when I heard an almighty splash. I ran to the pond to find Hettie going under the water, unable to get a purchase on the ledge. Once I got her out, not only was she completely drenched she was covered in the stinking silt, so I took her inside and gave her a shower. She was not a happy girl.
I have long puzzled over how to secure this pond. It is man-made, but dug into the side of a hill. Two sides are too high for her to jump up on to, one side is the waterfall coming down the hill and one side is on a narrow path to the property boundary. Even if I put a fence along the boundary side, I am stumped by the waterfall.
She usually gets on the edge from the boundary side and walks around, but she is equally unfazed about standing in the waterfall. She reaches into the pond to steal the fish food.
I have placed large stones on the boundary edge for now and a plank across the waterfall. Fencing around the waterfall is not possible because of the lie of the land. Does anyone have any ideas to block her trying to reach into the pond from the waterfall edge, that isn't too unsightly?
Sally, with a rather clingy Hettie, UK