[Dailydrool] Tea party

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 25 15:51:14 PDT 2020

I have a very dear, and somewhat older friend, who lives two doors away and although she doesn't have pets of her own, she loves Hettie, I mean, she absolutely adores Hettie. She buys treats for in case we call round and always has a little spare ham in the fridge....I had to put my foot down about biscuits. In fact, we can't walk past Ann's house without Hettie dragging me up her drive to the front door.
With the Covid situation, we are no longer able to visit the house, but we can visit each other's gardens. The other morning, Ann came round and I took tea and Hot Cross buns outside. Now Hettie is fairly good about counter cruising and never steals, so I put the buns on the wall while I grabbed some chairs.
MY BAD
I turned round to see Hettie with a complete bun in her mouth. I'm yelling as I'm trying to remove the bun, Ann's yelling "make her sick! Make her sick!" and Hettie is doing her best to hang on to that bun stuffed full of dried fruit. I retrieved about half the bun and was trying to work out if she had eaten enough to make her ill. So I went into the house to look it up online.
I decided we were probably OK and came back out to find Ann squirting washing up liquid into Hettie's mouth. She told me she'd seen it on TV as a way to make dogs sick. I'm looking at Hettie thinking being sick would be good, but drinking washing up liquid really wasn't. Hettie, however, licked her chops, wagged her tail, and enthusiastically followed me as I took the bottle back to the kitchen.
She wasn't sick. In fact within moments she was trying to grab the other bun and, once foiled, started gnawing her bone. This is a dog who gets the urgka gurgkas from just looking at a sausage or anything else remotely fatty. I watched her like a hawk for the rest of the day - nothing. That night, she woke me up at 2am. Went outside, had the squits, came back in and slept the rest of the night.
Ann and I have talked about administering noxious substances without discussion and Hettie now begs when I pick up the washing up liquid. Only a basset!
Sally in the UK with Hettie, the basset with the cleanest bum in the country.