[Dailydrool] And then there were none

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Sun Apr 4 09:05:49 PDT 2021

Monday,  March 29th, our Maggie went to the Bridge, leaving Bill and me home by ourselves with not a basset in the house for the first time since Dec. 24, 1986.  Most of the time we had 3 or 4 bassets running around here.
About 3 weeks ago, Maggie lost the use of her back legs. She did slowly regain some use but her back feet were constantly knuckling under and she had to be assisted more and more to potty or she'd pee on her leg or end up sitting in her business.  In spite of needing help, she would be in a hurry, which became a real hazard for me with my bad leg and my balance issues.  But the thing that sent her packing was her glaucoma eye.  Her eye pressure had been up a bit for a few weeks but not to the point of causing a lot of pain. Then at one pressure check, she was back to within a normal range.  Suddenly, though, her pressure was way up, to 47.  This is terribly painful - like a migraine in your eye.  We came home armed with eye drops - now up to 7 kinds at various times of the day.  But they didn't work and on Sunday she was obviously miserable. Monday morning our wonderful eye vet had me bring her in so she could check her out again. Her eye pressure was up to 60 - this is beyond painful.  There is nothing more that could be done for her because of her other health issues, mainly her heart.  So we had no choice but to send her on her way to meet up with her beloved Sunny and the rest of the Lindy hounds. We came home to a house that's much too quiet but we will remain houndless for a while.  Hard to believe I know but for now it's what we are going to do.  We want to do a little traveling (by car) and have some things done to the house that are easier without a dog.  Will we get another hound at some point?  I don't know but I hope so.  For now, 10 seems to be a good number to at least pause on.  5 boys, 5 girls . . . .
If you never got to meet Maggie, it's your loss.  She was an amazing dog, a one person dog and that person was me.  How lucky I was that she loved me so very much.  She was very smart, learning how to open the gates in the house and teaching the other dogs how to, too.  We had to rig the gates so a dog couldn't open them.  She knew every routine of making her food, when her eye drops were due, what time we ate dinner; she  insisted on a walk every day unless it was raining (I am pretty sure she melted in the rain), was great with kids, great with other dogs, as patient as the day is long, stoic as hell, excellent at bossing Bill around, perfect with company, so much more. She had her rules like Bill was supposed to give her a treat she got after we had lunch; I was to give her a treat after our dinner. And NOT vice versa.  Stubborn? OMG. Look it up in the dictionary and her picture will be there.  Her only flaw for me was that she was not a cuddler.  Bill tried but she was not impressed.
So here we are, just Bill and me.  It’s so damn weird - even Bill says we may not be able to do this . . .

Donna, drool fueler for no one right now and very sad.
Forever missing my little herd at the Bridge: Chuck, Bob, Dudley, Pauline, Elmo, Gracie, Bosley, Sunny, YaYa and Maggie