[Dailydrool] Miss Millie

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 00:19:47 PDT 2021

So, as Hettie has told you, there is a new hound in the house.
Although my heart was still very heavy over Mia, the moment I saw the pictures the foster coordinator sent me, I knew she had to come here.
Millie turned two last month. She was bought by a man who owned a "boarding kennel" specifically to breed longhaired bassets - and we all know how well that would have worked out.
The story goes that his marriage broke down and he had to sell the kennels,  but he left Millie there promising to return for her. I don't know how long she was left in this hell hole, but I do know that about three weeks ago, her owner relinquished her to an all-breed rescue as he had "ended up in a place he couldn't have dogs".
Poor Millie was scrawny, filthy and her hair was so matted she had to have a lot of it clipped off.
The rescue placed her with first-time fosterers who'd never had hounds. They couldn't cope, so the rescue asked Basset Rescue Network of Great Britain if they could take her.
She is a tiny hound, just 40 pounds, she is tricoloured, with a red face and white muzzle, covered in naughty spots. She's as sweet and gentle as possible. I'm only allowed to post pictures of her in the Facebook group Friends of Basset Network GB, or in private communications.
In many ways, she's a typical two-year-old, full of mischief and slowly coming out of her shell. But I haven't seen her run and she can't get up on the sofa - although she's an accomplished counter surfer. Her physique suggests she has already been bred quite a bit. I'm hoping she just needs to build up some muscle and there's nothing more serious.
Anyway. As of now she is a foster hound with no idea about potty training or commands, so there is a long road ahead before her future is decided. Hettie has relaxed a bit, but is still a little put out. I hope they can rub along peacefully.
Sally, with Hettie and foster Millie, UK