[Dailydrool] Adopting from a rescue

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:54:47 PST 2021

Kara, adopting from a rescue is a win win for everyone, especially for the
hound and the next hound that gets to be pulled from a shelter and given a
second chance. The advantages are that you're getting a hound who is
completely vetted and has lived with a family who can give you some insight
to their personality. Rescues knock themselves out to try to make sure that
they're making a good match for the hound and the potential adoptive
family. Having fostered many hounds, it's terribly discouraging to have a
hound come back to us after thinking the perfect family has been found, so
rescues really do everything they can to make that perfect match. But, if
it ends up not being a good match, you know that the hound can be taken
back to the rescue and will be loved and cared for until the right family
does come along for them. There aren't too many reasons that a rescue would
turn down a potential adoptive family. They'll ask for a vet reference and
do a home visit, mainly to make sure you are who you say you are and to
make sure the hound is going to go into a safe environment. The person who
does your home visit isn't there to judge, just to make sure that a hound
who comes to you will be safe. We used to take one of our hounds with us on
home visits, especially if there were other dogs in the home we were
visiting just to make sure the existing dogs would be good with a strange
hound coming into their home. Jersey (ATB) was the best demo hound and got
along with just about everyone. We took Shadow one time and she immediately
peed on the family's floor! When they didn't freak out we knew they would
be a terrific home for any hound (we never used Shadow as a demo hound
after that though!). Most rescues will be happy to send you a copy of the
paperwork if you ask just so you know what they'll be looking for. Other
than the time I spent chatting with potential adopters, the home visits
wouldn't take any more than 15 minutes to complete. Don't hesitate for a
minute to adopt from a rescue. Like I said, it's a win win all the way
around, especially for the hound.

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow & Suzy (who are both rescues)