[Dailydrool] Adopting from a Rescue

jjcsandrcs at aol.com jjcsandrcs at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 17:08:22 PST 2021

We've had six Bassets over the span of 50 years.  The first four were paired up--one basset, one terrier.
When we arrived in NC twelve years ago, we decided to try a rescue. Actually we did it twice. Started out as a foster, then adopted a month or so later.  They call that 'foster failure' which to me is a misnomer, cuz it's a victory.
I remember feeling irritated because we'd been Basset owners multiple times and our local daughter is a Veterinarian. Going thru the process was quick and professionally done.  The potential foster was brought with the Thomsons as they did the home visit--immediate love and Buster was left with us. !! .
Several years later, we did some of the home visits for CBHR. Most went fine but a couple had red flags which we passed on to the co-ordinator. Rescues care about the dogs so much that they might across as too picky.  Not so, it's the dog's future they're determining. After an average of $800 spent per dog in getting them ready, we rescuers want the best for our dogs, now healthy, neutered and ready for the best furever home out there.