[Dailydrool] Adoption

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 29 08:44:20 PST 2021

Hello, Dale here,
I've fostered so I believe I'm in a good position to try to answer.  The dogs I've fostered have almost all been shelter pulls.  Shut down dogs.  Skinny, coughing, terrified.  Locked in a cage for a week on a stray hold.  At least.  When I bring one home the others in the house all smell "that smell" and they are especially kind to the poor terrified creature, they remember.
So ... fast forward a few weeks (or months) and I am speaking to potential adopters on the phone.  The dog is blossoming ... trusting and healthy again.  Playing.  Happy.  And I love it.  So I want to make sure the person I am talking to will love and care for the dog in a way that nurtures him/her and protects them.  I know what their "triggers" are by then.  If they are afraid of being alone, or the dark, or loud noises.  If they can be trusted to go potty outside using the dog door w/o prompting.  I am hoping to hear the person on the other end is as concerned as I am about the dogs long term well being.  These rescued dogs have been traumatized and some behaviors may never completely go away, this isn't an unscarred dog and I need to make sure the adopter knows what they are signing up for.
The biggest turn off is being lied to.  Everyone who lies to me trips themselves up in the same phone call ..... "someone is home all day with the dog"  Oh?  So you don't work?  No no I work full time 8-5 and my husband doesn't get home till 4 but my adult son lives at home .... "is he home all day" .... no no he's a full time student ..... so then "will the dog be home alone all day?"  Oh.....I .....
If you plan to house your new pet indoors with you, have a fenced yard, a vet who will vouch for you and you are honest and open about what you can and cannot provide for your new pet I am sure that rescue can find exactly the right dog for the end of your couch.
If you want to chat more please email me at dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Dale