[Dailydrool] Dealing with rescues/adoption experiences

Kara Carpenter frknhippie at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 29 07:01:01 PST 2021

I know a lot of you Droolers are adopters, and I am thinking of becoming a first time adopter.  Rooney and Fitz went to the bridge last spring and were the only dogs I've ever had on my own as an adult, and they came from a local hobby breeder (please don't judge).  At this time I am dogless (although we have 2 cats, 4 gerbils, and just added 2 cockatiels to the family--the latter are all my daughter's and the cats belong to no one lol). Only just this week I have gotten up the nerve to look online at dogs.  I have donated to many of the basset rescues and participated in fundraisers for CBHR (I live in NC).  I've done some research on rescues in the NC/SC/TN/VA area and the policies and adoption criteria are very similar.  I have to say though, I am very intimidated by the whole application/phone interview/home visit process.  Knowing myself, putting myself out there like that to be potentially turned down would be devastating to my already fragile psyche when it comes to dogs.  Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing the process by any means--I know why they do what they do and I understand.  And I don't know of any off hand reason I would be denied.  Maybe I should take this as a sign that I'm just not ready, but by that same token I also realize this process can take months.  So for those of you who have been through it, how do you handle it?  What are your experiences, good and bad?  I would ideally like to put in applications to a few rescues and wait for a young-ish bonded pair (I know the seniors need help too but I can't go through nursing and losing one again anytime soon).  Maybe I am just being neurotic about the whole thing, but I would like to hear your stories before I take this leap, and I consider you all to be the experts on all things basset :-)   Thanks for indulging me!
Kara