[Dailydrool] Paddi B Basset 2004 - 2021

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 16:56:55 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,
For the first time ever, I wrote to the Drool without a hound.
Dear Paddi B Basset, my first and only basset puppy, passed on peacefully
last Monday with the assistance of her personal physician. We were all
outside on the lawn under a tree. Paddi refused a treat (she would never,
ever take a treat from the vet. She set her lips against the idea from
smallest puppyhood and could never be persuaded) and just lay down beside
me. Our vet sedated her, and she went to sleep with Robbie and I telling
her what a wonderful puppy she was, and singing to her.

She would have been 17 in the middle of July.

She was an absolutely wonderful and hilarious dog, a terrific introduction
to the basset world. Like many a basset girl, she ruled the house with an
iron paw, kind of. She always saw herself as the boss, anyway, no matter
what additional bassets, Formosan Mountain Dogs, cats or alpacas came to
join her.

Over the past year her back was a problem, and from December on she
suffered a lot from insomnia. Our vet diagnosed CCD, and we tried every
medication on the planet. We were pretty accustomed to getting up at night
with her, and were happy to let that continue as long as she was having
good days -- but the days were getting less good. A week ago Monday, she
cried for several hours at night (this was new behaviour) then fell asleep
and MISSED BREAKFAST.

I think only this group will understand how we felt. She got up after six
or seven solid hours of sleep and ate her breakfast in a calm, slow and
distinctly un-bassety way. We couldn't face the thought of her facing
another night of pain, and we could only see one way to ensure that.

I will miss her forever. We are now without a dog for the first time since
2001, and without a cat since last summer. I am pretty sure that there will
be another basset heading my way before too long has passed -- but I'm
equally sure that I will never forget Paddi B Basset -- or, to use her very
fancy name, "Sunset's Descansco Princess."

I hope the Bridge crowd was ready for a girl who never met a basset she
didn't adore.

Sadly,
Mary by herself