[Dailydrool] Lumps and bumps

Carol Yokum racetrcker at aol.com
Sun May 9 11:01:54 PDT 2021

This is Carol asking about Dino, almost 9, again.   We have had him for a little over two years now and he has had a couple of surgeries to remove cysts, one to amputate his tail and a very complicated one to remove a cyst that has been tangled around things from one of his front paws.   He has multiple lumps and most of them are staying soft and seem not to be connected but two of them have grown and become hard and our vet is recommending their removal.   He has an appointment to have this done at the same time as a dental later this month.   We are now having second thoughts about doing this since he has been through so much already.   He has sores on a front paw that he won't stop licking so every morning I clean them with a medicated pad and then put a sock on that paw and tape it on for the day.   At bedtime the sock comes off and he sleeps in an inflatable cone.   As soon as I leave it open and available he is licking at it constantly and making sores.   He has been on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds for this but does not want to stop licking.   So he is used to the cone of shame but not 24 hours a day.
I am wondering if fellow Droolers think we should go ahead with the lump removals.   There are so many more, even one on his ear.   We don't want to be in an endless cycle of surgeries and if any did come back positive for cancer we would not put him through chemo.   Cooper who owned us right before Dino did go through chemo and it was quite an ordeal with so many infusions and medications.   It did give us a few extra months with him.  His cancer was found when his spleen had to be removed.   We just don't know what to do this time.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Carol and Dino who is such a very good boy!