[Dailydrool] Mariah

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:36:37 PDT 2021

Dear Mariah:

Horton came to us with a fear of dogs,even those who were across the
street. I saw a solution on TV that really worked for him. I would take him
for walks and bring along really tasty treats. When I saw a dog heading
towards us, before it got too close, I raised the treat up towards my eyes
and told him, "Watch me!" Of course he looked right at my eyes and ignored
the dog. Then he got the treat.

It took a while for him to decide it was his idea to do this, but things
improved, over time, and now he is even good with the dog from down the
road, who eyes him as if a basset dinner might be a good idea. A long time
ago Horton began to make friends with a little dog two doors up, who is
nervous around a larger dog, and now Hort loves the tiny blind dog next
door.

Change can happen, and I hope you too can begin to feel less threatened.
Pam, food slave to Horton the Dashing Basset