[Dailydrool] Millie congrats!

Menzie Chase menziechase at gmail.com
Sun May 16 23:01:07 PDT 2021

Congratulations to Milly and her foster mom. What a surprise! Sounds like
you too did a great job as whelping supports.

As to her anxiety, I’m not entirely surprised. She’s had a lot of changes
and upheavals and now she is having to worry about keeping her pups safe. I
don’t know what your nursery setup for her is like at your house. But I
would suggest you do your best to make it seem secure, confined, and den-
like. Put the whelping box in the quietest room in your house.   Cover over
most of the whelping box with some old blankets. Make sure they’re in a
corner of a room so she doesn’t feel like someone can approach her from
behind.

 Run a white noise machine continuously to help mask noises from neighbors
or the street. Don’t let your other dog go in the same room as her and the
puppies of course. Anything you can do to reduce her stimulation in her
environment will help her to be calm.

Here in the states, we have a plug-in “pet calming” device that you can
buy, it emits calming pheromones supposedly. You might ask your vet about
that, and ask your vet for advice in general in helping Millie feel secure
and safe.
--
Menzie Chase