[Dailydrool] joining in

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Thu Feb 3 13:32:22 PST 2022

i joined the drool in 2004 when i adopted mr. cooper the bassetter (english setter/basset mix).  coop was rescued by an english setter rescue.  just picture a slightly longer and much squattier setter.   he opened my eyes to all things basset.  we waddled with tri state, did the trout parades with mid atlantic,, picnics, parties, you name it.  mr cooper was even basset of the week once. at the time i still had miss casey the chessie altho she was getting older.
2007 the phone rings and it's one of those "can you just foster for a short time?  it's an emergency!"  no i had been fostering both setters and bassets, n ever an issue (well there was that one setter, but that's another story for another time) off i drive to meet suzanne fitch and "flash" aka buster brown.  fell for him immediately.  only dog i ever failed with.  he was weirdly agile and smart.  tomatoes were his downfall.  as in he would tackle you to get some, eat out of a crockpot, etc.  he loved obedience and dressing up in costumes.  most of all tho, buster loved to sing.  he raised tons of moola with his ability to play along on the "i bet i can get my dog to sing for $1"  routine.  he had a whole list of questions and replie4s he would run thru.  buster had a weird following at events..
down the road came sally.  a mix (treeing walker/basset).  very very long and very very intellectually challenged.  vet said she needed a helmet to keep herself safe.  never really learned her name.  or if she liked food.  best was i don't think she recognized me when i would try to pick her up at day care.  "stranger danger"  still after 7 years.  really.
lowla arrived one february as a badly treated dump by her owners.  i calmed her and let her who the world was in deed an ok place.  lowla would follow me around at the dog park .  people would tell me that dog is going no where she had found her home.  she had her quuirks .  adopted on ce and came back.  lived her life having bubble baths, vacations, pickles and pineapples with me.  she developed seizures and then went blind from some sort of brain issue.  she told a pet psychic once that she was the good one and the other two were heathens.  just about sums it up.
i lived in jersey with the group.  moved them all up to nh with me.  now all 3 have passed, and are sorely miossed.  they are replaced with dexter.  my first non-rescue dog.  he is both  a therapy dog and service dog.  such a sweet gentle soul.  he responds with the state crisis response team.  i love this dog, he has done everything that i have asked of him.
so it's been about 12 years with the drool.  5 dogs later and still going strong.  living in the great north woods - 60 miles from canada and loving  it .