[Dailydrool] When I joined

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 01:18:22 PST 2022

I'm pretty rubbish at dates. I struggle to remember them, even my kids' birthdays, but I think it would have been in early 2008.
I went to a local pound to adopt a blue greyhound and came home with Rolph. When I agreed to adopt him, the owner of the shelter fixed me with a glare and said "I think you're mad. Bassets are horrible dogs." Her co-head said "Get on the internet and read up everything you can about the breed." But a volunteer ran up and threw her arms around me thanking me for taking him.
And so began my adventures with bassets. I didn't get on the internet that week. I was arrogant enough to believe a lifetime of dog ownership, including rescue Afghans, qualified me for anything a canine could throw at me. Two weeks later, in desperation, I found the Daily Drool.
Through the Drool, I learned how to rethink everything I knew about dogs. I met friends I  have met in person, such as Rebecca Stanton and Dale Rutz and many more I will probably never meet, but feel I know well.
I also met other basset owners here in the UK, firstly through a club and more recently through Facebook groups. I have been involved in basset rescue as a fundraiser, homechecker, foster mum and most recently as a surprised midwife when the bitch I was fostering gave birth to eight puppies. I have also met some of my closest friends through bassets.
None of this would have happened if it was not for my reaching out to the Daily Drool in desperation when I adopted the wild child who would go on to be my heart dog and change my life.
Sally, with Hettie UK, always remembering PW Rolph  and Clara ATB.