[Dailydrool] Joining the DD

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 15:57:36 PST 2022

It's so nice seeing so many notes in the DD! Like a lot of others, I read
them all but am more of a voyeur and don't post much.

I joined the DD in 2006 when my Jersey came to us. Her adoption was
followed by many years of fostering (and foster failing!). We ended up with
our four girls who we dubbed the Houndettes.  We lost Jersey in 2014 to
cancer. She ruled the roost and we were all pretty sad and lost for a
while. I decided that, just once, I wanted to start with a puppy but really
didn't know where to start looking. Nancy Kay was kind enough to introduce
us to a responsible breeder she knew and Toby came to live with us. I was
hoping a puppy would perk up my old ladies and keep them young but he is a
very sweet, submissive hound and they let him know right away that they
were in charge. We lost Ginger in 2018 when she was about 11 to lung cancer
and Suzy in May of 2021 when she was 14 years old. Toby is seven now and
Shadow is still with us and will turn 16 sometime next month (we don't have
a specific date, just month and year she was born). We know every day with
her is a gift.

I have made some wonderful friends through the DD. Debbie Winchester was
one of them and I was heartbroken along with everyone else when we all
found out she had cancer. I had sent a quilt to her at one point hoping it
would help comfort her and was honored when her family asked if it would be
ok for it to be cremated with her. Gosh, I miss her! I miss Georgie with
Miss Becky and Riche too. The one thing that facebook is good for is being
able to put faces with names that we've become so familiar with here on
this list but I'm more of a voyeur there too. I love seeing the old DD be
more active and I will try to post more often although we don't have the
escapades that we used to have when we were a family of four hounds.

Jane, Shadow & Toby
Houndettes Jersey, Ginger and Suzy ATB