[Dailydrool] Memories of the Daily Drool

Douglas Paul dmp618 at swbell.net
Sun Feb 13 13:13:40 PST 2022

When the history of the Drool was posted, I went to my old laptop computer to find anything from Elder Clara's stories from the Bridge, but whoa was me, I couldn't find them. However, I did strike it rich by finding tales from Melba Toast from 2005. What wonderful memories and laughter those stories brought to me. I also found so many more posts, some from Brudder Elwood and Brudder Jake, Bufords' resume for OEBE acceptance, oh the Field hockey games. I even still have some items that I bidded on when there was an auction site associated with the Drool. Great deals, but another wonderful idea gone to bed. I joined the Drool back in 2004 or 5 (can't remember exactly) at that time we had one basset Abby, well we had two Alexander and Abby, but Alex went to the Bridge prior to me joining the Drool). Over the years, I learned a lot about these four-legged clowns from the plethora of info shared. I enjoyed the several years of the Howliday Card campaigns and kept each and every card received, what a joy it was to see all those furbabies "in person". Unfortunately, Abby went to the Bridge in 2007 after a surgery procedure found a pancreatic tumor, but about a month later we were blessed with Stonewall Jackson and his half-sister (same dad, different moms, born 5 days apart) Samantha. We had 12 years of joy and laughter with Stonewall before he took his final journey after surviving a splenectomy two years prior, this left us with Samantha that kept us going for two more years. December 6th, we had to let her take her final trip due to her inability to use her hind legs more and more due to either a fusion in her L-spine or a growth in that area and since she was 14 years old, we could not bring ourselves to put her through that type of surgery not knowing how she would do afterward. She left with her dignity still intact and is flying and running free along with Stonewall trying to do "humpy dog" just like he did before even though both the vet and we kept telling him that Samantha was his sister and to knock it off to no avail. Anyway, we lucked out in January when I saw a Facebook picture of a fluffy red and white female owner surrender in Manhattan (Kansas). She is two years old, and her owners were military and were being transferred overseas. We did a meet and greet that day (after a 2- hour ride) and Lulu came home with us. After one month with an active youngun again, we are in love with her, and she has made herself part of the family. Of course, the shelter told us that she was not allowed on the furniture in her prior home, but even though she was left alone for several hours a day, we kinda doubted that since after day two, up on the furniture came Lulu like she belonged there.I still look at the Drool every day and was concerned that it would be a thing of the past, but hopefully, more and more folks will again join the ranks again. I, like a lot of you go to Facebook to see pictures and laugh and cry several times a day, but the Daily Drool will always be the first loving, informative group for basset lovers.Marie Paul, Kansas