[Dailydrool] U-bathing

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 17:49:48 PST 2022

I am not quite sure which of our fosters or transports I took to a  well
known pet store where I could personally bathe a basset who had come up
from down South, from somewhere that had a lot of red clay. The dog, who
only stayed with us briefly, had evidently lived outside and probably had
never had a bath. I have never seen so much dirt on a dog.

I went in to see about bathing the hound, and the manager called out for
someone to clean the self-serve bathing area. I was in a hurry, and finally
ended up going into a disgusting booth that had gotten only a lick and a
promise if it got anything.

I began washing the dog, and the red clay just kept flushing out of its
fur. I washed it three times before I felt the poor creature was even
modestly clean. The bottom of the tub was covered with clay, and even more
washing didn't seem as if it would solve the problem. Spraying the bottom
of the tub didn't do much to send the clay down the drain.

I tried to clean the tub out, but without proper cleaning equipment, it was
impossible. I surely left the tub even worse than  it was when I came in.
That clay was brutal!

That was the last time I used a self-service dog wash. It was years ago,
and I still remember it very vividly, even if the dog's name escapes me.
Even the though of such a place gives me the willies.

Compared to that, naked bathing sounds good, though getting a dog in and
out of our tub has never been easy. As I remember it, the ramp on the
self-serve tub wasn't made for short-legged dogs, so that made a return
visit even less appealing. Thankfully, any dog who stayed overnight after
that was not so filthy.
Pam, food slave and bather of the Dashing Bassets