[Dailydrool] When Did I Join?

jjcsandrcs at aol.com jjcsandrcs at aol.com
Fri Feb 18 19:00:22 PST 2022

I think I found the Daily Drool when looking for a Basset Rescue when we moved to NC from Central Ohio in 2008.  Like others I learned so much from other Droolers and am so grateful.  We had had four Bassets, one at a time, in the past thirty years before we discovered rescue.
We foster-failed twice with Carolina Basset Hound Rescue--a male who came with the name Buster who is now 15-1/2 and Miss Ellie, formerly known as Helen and 'wild woman', who just turned 15.  Buster is very frail and Ellie is robust !!
There are two very special connections I have made with Daily Drool..  One involves Dale Rutz, who when I announced that Ellie had gone down in the rear end 5 years ago, told me all about cool laser therapy which she had used successfully  with Snoopy.  She also packed up and mailed to me, a stranger, some of Snoopy's equipment and suggested a dog stroller.  We used it all and got Ellie back up on her feet within several weeks..  Now she goes for daily walks and runs at age 15--we are eternally grateful to Dale.
One of the activities I've been involved in with CBHR was establishing our HOWL program--[helping others  with loss]. We came to realize that with a surge in adoptions starting eight years earlier, we would start to lose Bassets in large numbers in 2011. My son , a clergyman and my daughter, a Veterinarian, helped us develop an outreach program to families whose Bassets had gone to the Bridge with an annual Memorial Service at the  SC beach during Waddle, a hand-written sympathy note and offer of an listening ear, and info on pet loss. At the same time, Debbie Winchester writing those wonderful stories about the Bridge. In my sympathy notes, I suggested that folks join the Daily Drool to read about the Bridge and be comforted. I know those stories made me believe that our dogs will meet us at the Bridge when it is our time.  I want to meet Elder Clara at the Gate, see the Beagles waiting tables and  our Bassets looking down on earth to check on their families.
Thank you Daily Drool.  I don't post often as I'm so lengthy !!