[Dailydrool] This and that

anniebh at acsol.net anniebh at acsol.net
Sat Jan 29 15:30:32 PST 2022

Well first of all, congratulations Kacy on your semi retirement. I think you
relocated further up north for a better job. Glad you are doing well and
have it easier now. As for Buford's skin issues, Loretta came to us with a
flaming red tummy and lots of dandruff. We tried several shampoos and
finally stumbled on Pet Honesty Chlorhexidine shampoo. It worked wonders on
her skin.  Also, I've been watching a new vet show on NatGeo Wild.  Pop Goes
the Vet with Dr. Joya Griffin. She specializes in skin issues. It might be
worth watching. If you have to resort to Apoquel, it is a Zoetis product and
you can submit invoices for rebates. They then send you a visa card and when
you earn rebates they reload your card. It's been great. We adopted a boy we
were told had severe allergies. Not sure if he really did. People will tell
you anything when they are trying relinquish a hound. My gut is telling me
they were about to be evicted because of his barking or aggressiveness.
We'll never know for sure. I'm wondering if Buford's owners lied about his
age thinking rescue wouldn't take him. Maybe he's older that you think. Have
you had his thyroid checked? It might be low. His waking a lot at night
could also be early dementia or sundowners. We treated Lacy with Seligiline
and it worked wonders. She would pace and pace at night until she was so
exhausted she would just collapse. With the Seligiline, she slept through
the night.

So I mentioned we have a new boy. He is 12 but acts like 8. He's full of
energy but is ruled by 5 girls in the house. He's not sure how to act. And
then year ago we got a mini Doxie too. She is 4 years old and weighs 11
pounds.  Our reasoning was, we can no longer carry bassets up the stairs for
bed at night so we thought we'd try a smaller one. She is so feisty. She was
a breeder who lived her entire life in a cage and is so happy to be able to
run in a big yard now and chase the bassets. She shakes a stuffy that is
almost twice her size and is enjoying being a dog. The only problem is that
we cannot seem to house break her. She goes a few days with no accidents and
then will go in the house on her way out the back doggie door. Since she was
living in a cage she never knew potty training. With the subzero temps we
have been having it doesn't help. I'm hoping once the weather warms up she
will go outside more.

I'm glad the Drool is coming back. I am guilty like everyone else. I read
but rarely post. I will try to do better.

Ann