[Dailydrool] Barney and his nighttime outings

K. Green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 12:11:49 PST 2022

I'm watching this thread as well, since we have the same issue with Buford.
I'll be trying the suggestions from Angelika along with any others that
post.

Previously, Buford was peeing in our playroom each night. We've blocked it
off with a baby gate at night now and he doesn't pee elsewhere in the house
(as far as we know!) but he now barks to be let out. I will say that he
does pee when he goes out, but sometimes it's quick and other times he
wanders around, sniffing and barking until we (James) calls him back
inside. This typically happens once around 11p-12ish, again around 1am and
sometimes again at 3:30. Then he is so tired that he often sleeps all day,
even skipping breakfast. Last time I mentioned this topic, it was suggested
that Buford may have sundowners, but the fact that he most often does pee
on his outings makes me not certain if its sundowners, a need to pee, or
just a habit.

The problem is that we have small children sleeping, so we cannot just
allow the barking or see what happens if we don't take action. James is
particularly annoyed because I usually have the baby sleeping with me by
the 1am wakeup and am unable to sneak away to open the door for Bu. So it
falls to James to get up and let him out 2-3x each night. I laugh when
James whines because with a baby on my side, I get crummy sleep anyway and
between two pregnancies and now two toddlers, I don't think I've had a
complete night of sleep in 5 years; that said, I don't want him to resent
the dog, so if we can re-train or find a solution to Buford's wakings, I
would go along with it.

Best of luck with Barney and finding a solution. Thanks for starting the
thread, I'l be watching for additional responses/suggestions.

Drool on,
Kacy + Buford