[Dailydrool] Good-bye to Eeyore and low normal thyroid levels

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Apr 14 14:00:36 PDT 2008

The Dashing Bassets are slinging drool in Charlie's direction as he feels the sorrow of losing his beloved Eeyore. We all hope this is the end of such sorrow in the Basset Herder's life and that his renewed digs will turn out to be wonderful.

This morning I got a call from the vet. Abner's test for hypothyroid came back in the low normal range. It seems the normal range is 1 to 4. Abner came back at 1.4. The vet suggests that we wait three months and retest or that we start him on a very low dose of the medication, which at most would bring him up into a more normal range. Right now Drew and I are figuring we'll simply retest in three months, unless the itching pops up again. In three months, if the level has dropped further, we will assume he is becoming hypothyroid and will begin medication.

The other medications he's been on (an antihistamine and antibiotic) have seemed to controlled all the itching, though I cannot be sure because I cannot see the bald spots on his tummy. He used to roll over to show them off. Now he just keeps his tummy to himself, so I assume it's feeling better. I'd like to keep my fingers, thank you, so I have not pressed him for a view. But he no longer tries to scratch his side or scoot his butt, so I think it's feeling good.

At least he's letting me touch his ears again. After the vet cleaned them they hurt when I just touched the top of his head. He snapped at me before I even lifted an ear.

Anyone have any experience of a low normal thyroid level?
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets
Lady Jane & Belvedere & Alexis Thefairyprincess (ATB) & Abner Ahrooo
with Duncan Thefairlyuselessc at t