[Dailydrool] home visit

Mary Mischelle Kemp mmischellekemp at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:11:24 PDT 2008

I confess, I'm the drooler in Marilyn's home visit post (I also confess that I'm a week behind and just read her post!). Fizban and Pw. Tasselhoff went with me on the home visit, I usually bring at least one of them with me to see how the applicant interacts with them. Leaving them in the truck is part of the test, peeing on the couch is NOT. Marilyn is right, I was incredibly embarrassed by the whole thing. Neither Tas or Fiz had ever lifted their leg in someone's home, and I was mortified. So much for my well trained, therapy dog, ambassetdors! In hindsight, I wonder if Fizban realized what a great slave Marilyn is and was claiming her home as his own!

When the visit was over I called our adoption coordinator and told her about the visit. When I told her about what Fizban had done she knew right away that we had found a true hound lover and a great home. To my eternal gratitude, she didn't say anything about a therapy dog not being allowed to pee in homes, especially since she is also a tester for, and very involved with, Intermountain Therapy Dogs!

Mary, Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban

Marilyn wrote:

We had just lost our 14 year old basset mix, andapplied to Utah Friends of Basset Hounds to adopt. I did cleanmy house, and waited anxiously for the “inspector” to arrive. Door bell rings--She brought her two bassets, but left them in her truck with the windows down. It was June, and not THAT hot, but I insist they need to come inside. At the time, we have Sasha (corgi/golden who was supposed to be a basset/yellow lab, but the all breed rescue fibbed--I drove a long way to get her and she is very neurotic, so took her anyway). Inspector checks out the yard-- Great. All dogs having fun-- Padlock on the gate. We have always done that. Back in the house-- her very well-trained therapy dog lifts his legand pees on my couch !!! I am thinking this must be the test???Inspector totally mortified-- I just laugh and say it’s OK--and it was. When I started doing home visits myself, I always told the potential adopter that story. How they reacted did influence my decision. By the way, the inspector is a Drooler, but she was pretty embarrassed, so I won’t mention her name. --Marilyn Briggs