[Dailydrool] Rescues that aren't

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 14:32:13 PDT 2008

(You can tell I have the day off. I've been on the list all day.)

Diane what you dealt with is a rescue in name only. It is not a real
rescue even though they may call themselves one, and even have a tax
number, who knows. I have inadvertantly had a lot of experience with
people like this. These are not dog people. These are almost
collectors altho they try to find homes they have no clues about
breeds, breeding, health issues, or-- obviously-- medicine. They are
confusing Parvo and Pano.
I have found several of these "rescues" in my travels through the
system as a Vet Tech. Toward the end of my stay as one I became the
person  who dealt with all the strays and tried to get the purebreds
out to rescues. There were a couple of "all-breed" rescue people who
simply took the dogs home and put them in a different kennel, then
tried to find homes for them. I learned a hard lesson when one of them
adopted out a beagle we had as a stray. The beagle ( sorry about this,
guys) bit someone in the new home and was returned to us. The "rescue"
person ignored our warning about the dog and adopted it out again. It
bit someone. It was returned. It was slated for Euthanasia. We don't
adopt out dogs that bite. She (rescue person) came into the building
at night ( she had a key) and STOLE THE DOG. It bit her. I don't know
what happened to the dog but I do know that was end of her as a
"rescue". When word got out, not a single reputable agency would even
talk to her.

My son adopted an elderly dog from a multi-breed "rescue"-- one woman
who had 20 dogs. When their dog died a couple of yrs later they went
back to her, and she talked them into doing some fostering. The dogs
she gave them were completely unsuitable for my son and his wife. One
of the dogs attacked and nearly killed one of their cats and it turned
out the woman KNEW the dog was a cat killer, knew my son had cats and
did not tell them. They put the dog in the car and took it back. The
woman handed them another puppy. My son said no, no more dogs, no more
fostering. She became hysterical. They HAD  to take at least one more
dog. Why? Because the ASPCA was coming the next day to inspect and she
had too many dogs and no place to put them, and they would take the
dogs!! My son said for the first time he really looked at the dogs
there and saw that they were dirty and thin. He told her no. She
screamed at him that it would be his fault if they took her dogs. He
said, for the dog's sakes, he hoped they did.

Everytime a Basset comes up needing fostering in his neck of the woods
I am so tempted to tell rescue to give him a call, but his experience
was so bad that they have vowed they will never work with any rescue
again. He will. I'll see to that, but I have to be patient.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell, Zelda and Cooper