[Dailydrool] Max the wonder dog ATB

Jamie Duarte 3bassets at surewest.net
Sun Apr 20 23:52:55 PDT 2008

I had to send Max the wonder dog to the bridge today.  He was having a very
difficult time walking and getting up.  It wasn¹t fair to him to have him
live this way.

For those who don't know Max's story, I thought I'd share it for Max is an
inspiration to us all.

I first learned about Max back in January 1999. Dawn of the West posted a
message in the email drool list looking for someone to try and get him out
of the pound in Lodi, California. Max had been thrown from a moving car into
a ditch, and the person who witnessed it brought him to the pound. Max was
scheduled to be put to sleep because he was old, and Dawn hoped to get him
out before that happened.

When I heard about his story, I knew I had to try and help. I was looking
for a friend for Mr. Wiggins, and I told Dawn that if Mr. Wiggins & he got
along, I'd become his forever home. If not, than I'd keep him until a home
could be found.

When the officer brought Max in I was shocked. Here was this old beaten down
hound. No front teeth, a coat that was grayish yellow, and his head hung
down so low. However, when I was talking to the officer about what had
happened to him, he jumped up in the chair next to me. All of a sudden he
let out a big WOOF! I looked at him, and he grinned at me with a big
toothless grin. I knew then he was going to come home with me.

When I brought him home, my roommate Stan thought I was nuts for Max was
filthy. But I knew that there was a special dog under the filth. I cleaned
him up, took care of his medical issues, and made a friend for life.

My vet called Max the Wonder Dog the energizer bunny for no matter what
happens he kept on going. If it were not for old bones, I am sure he would
still be with me.

I always promised Max the wonder dog that I would make sure I sent him to
the bridge with his dignity. It is that promise that helped me do what is
best for him.

Rest in Peace Max the Wonder Dog.

1991 ­ 2008

I want to thank Dawn of the West for the help she gave me back in 1999.  If
it were not for her, I¹m not sure I would have had the courage to rescue Max
the wonder dog, and I would have missed out knowing an amazing dog who in
spite of having a very difficult life, lived his life to the fullest!

Please visit the montage I created celebrating his life!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JjY1Q356FdQ

--
Jamie
Mom to Mr. Wiggins, Max the wonder dog  (atb) &

*             Mr. Wiggins Woofn¹ Treats                      *
* The homemade treats dogs find woofn¹  good!   *
*                www.mrwiggins.com                            *