[Dailydrool] The Bertha thread

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Thu Apr 24 06:34:15 PDT 2008

Hi fellow droolers,

Esther and I have had a brief conversation off list, and I agree with
her that 1 month is not necessarily enough time to really judge the
placement and what will work out.  After seeing a little more of her
history, including a raging ear infection, we get a little clearer
picture of the issues facing her parents.  I do still stand by my
thoughts that a bad placement needs to be remedied if the family isn't
able or willing to take the necessary steps to solve the problems, but
that is yet to be determined in this case.  I hope that Esther keeps us
informed of the progress as events unfold.

Please don't think that I am a perfect basset mom either!  I have two
dogs that I can't take out in public. One of which has never been away
from me from birth, and they are both very fearful of strangers (Channy
and Brutus, Brutie is also aggressive towards men and male dogs).  They
were well socialized from the time they were weaned, but I can't take
them in public because they might bite!  I love them and will never let
them go.  I have 3 who are terrible counter cruisers (Channy, Sassy, and
Brutus, the girls are worse than the boy, always have been), Arthur is
sweet as pie, but is afraid of sounds and strangers, but he is a love
and I have no fear of him in public.  Arthur has been to a couple of
waddles and picnics, and done just fine.  Sassy is my social butterfly,
loves everyone, has perfect visiting manners, but  can be counted on to
pee in the kitchen at home.  At least she goes on the linoleum...

Rocky is just about perfect, except he doesn't like other male dogs
around his momma, and he really doesn't like strangers.  Not fearful,
just apathetic and barely tolerant. Clover is just old and crochety, but
never counter cruises or gets into any trouble except for her fondness
for bathroom trash.

I don't ever give up on mine, but I do understand having limits that you
just can't be pushed beyond.  Let's just watch how events unfold, and
have love and generosity for Esther's parents, no matter what their
decisions end up to be.  No hasty conclusions and judgements...

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!