[Dailydrool] feeling very overwhelmed

marinr at netzero.net marinr at netzero.net
Thu Aug 7 11:17:51 PDT 2008

Hi Kristi,
I am new to the drool and adopted an 18 month old red and white basset girl last January. She had never been potty trained or crate trained. I have been able to crate train her and she now loves her crate. When it is night-night time she races into her crate and waits for her cookie.
How did I do it? I fed her every meal in her crate. She would not go in so I would put her bowl just inside of the door. As she got use to it, I would move the food farther into the crate. It was so funny, because she would stretch her neck as far as she could because she wasn't going to step in that thing. I would also leave treats in there for her to find. It was very frustrating, I didn't think we were getting anywhere and one day all of a sudden she went right it. It took several weeks. I always left the door open. Once she was comfortable in the crate, I would close the door for a few seconds, open it up and tell her what a good girl she was. It was just repetition and treats.
My furbaby is Abby and I think she has been reading the drool behind my back because we didn't have any problems on our walks and just this morning I think she is thinking about doing a "flat basset". I will probably have to get up in the morning a little earlier so I can still make it to work with a couple of flat bassets to look forward to on our walk.
Marin, Abby Girl and Kihei (ATB)

"I am feeling so overwhelmed with Chloe right now.  I am not  sure if I am
going to be able to keep her.  I have always had cats, which  are so self
sufficient.  Having to take care of a dog, a puppy is much  different.  She is a good
girl, but the having to take her out and watching  her to make sure she
doesn't potty in the house is getting to be so much.   I am the soul care giver as
my husband still works, and lots of overtime so it  falls on me.   The man we
got her from said he would take her back if  it didn't work out.  I am feeling
so bad about this right now.  My  husband says I am not giving it enough
time.  she has only been here since  Sunday afternoon.  I feel like I cant go
anywhere as I have to come right  back to take care of her.  She refuses to go in
the crate, I am not sure  why.  I have tried everything to get her to go in,
she is just not having  anything to do with it.  I am so distraught over this.
My husband  says if it is just too much he will not be upset if I choose to
take her  back.  I am feeling so guilty.   Kristi, Big L and  Chloe"

Life's Better In PINK