[Dailydrool] Raising basset from young puppies

Melo Mail mail4melo at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 21:29:05 PDT 2008

I've raised Boomer and Hope (littermates) together all on my own since I got them at 2 months old.   It was wrenching at times and I teetered on whether it was worth it.  These words saved me:
Structure-structure-structure
Routine-routine-routine
Repetition-repetition-repetition (prove to them that you have more endurance than they do)
Consistency-consitency-consistency
(Make it your own personal challenge that they will not get the best of you)
Patience-patience-patience (trust me, even if it seems they aren't... they are learning)
Use Containment-containment-containment (at least as puppies; these barriers can be expanded as they mature but always have a space that is all theirs and also don't neglect a space that is all yours to escape from them when you need to.)
They just turned one year old last month.  They are 50 poundss.  Their minds are still puppies.
We have much yet to learn, but they have come so far.
And so have I.