[Dailydrool] Of pills and water dishes

Mary Wilson mewilson at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 12 11:35:58 PDT 2008

Paddi B Basset takes pills with no fuss or bother... all I have to do is say "sit!" in a cheery voice and she catches them and swallows them. Her late lamented partner Billy B Basset was the same. Since he had so many problems he had to take lots of pills. I was always able to give them in a very tiny smear of cheese whiz or sometimes just "as is" -- which is how I give Paddi her vitamin. For both of them, the assumption that they were getting a treat over-rode any concern over the taste, and she swallows treats so fast I don't think she tastes them anyway.

We have a great water dish -- it is the inside of a slow cooker/crock pot that my Mom found at a garage sale. Works really well since it's heavy and non-tippy. Paddi and the cats all drink out of it. We have to keep it quite full since otherwise the cats are inconvenienced (too far to reach in) and Ms. B. dunks her ears... so I rinse it out very frequently. The cats don't seem to mind if there's a bit of drool in the water. They are very healthy cats and that is surely why!

Paddi B sends extra drool to all in need -- humans, bassets, other canines and even c-a-ts.

Mary and Paddi B