[Dailydrool] Sleeping with basset

Courtney Willard courtney_willard at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:04:18 PDT 2008

When we got our basset hound Maggie we were dead set that she would spend the night in her crate. She wasn't housebroken and we were incredibly naive. So we started out crating her in the living room. She whined and barked all night. Not for a few hours, ALL NIGHT. And it's that special whine where it's all gurgly at the end - drives the hubby nuts. At the time we were doing obedience training (Ha!) so we asked the instructor if he had any suggestions. He claimed it's because we separated her from her pack, since our other dog Gil was in the bedroom (on his bed on the floor) with us. So, we buy a smaller travel crate since there's no room for the other room. All this did was bring the noise closer! After a few nights (this is about one week with no sleep) we let her out in a fit of frustration and tossed her on the bed so she would sleep. She crawled under the covers between my husband and I and has been there ever since. Never makes a peep. If she gets hot she pokes her nose out the edge of the blankets. Our other two dogs really have no interest getting on the bed with us, unless we invite them. Thank goodness for a king bed!

Drool to all of those in need!

Courtney
Momslave to Gilbert, Maggie and Franny