[Dailydrool] plastic dish dermatitis

kaq1230 at comcast.net kaq1230 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 19 07:34:36 PDT 2008

Hi all,

just an interesting tid-bit...I recently switched from stainless bowls to plastic bowls at my house because the rubber rims on the stainless bowls were being made into chew toys...well we are back on the stainless bowls because of something called "plastic dish dermatitis".  I recently noticed that Rosco's nose was pink, dry and crusty.  I figured that the kitty had had enough of the sniffing and gave him a swipe, when it didn't get better after  a week or so, I thought I should have it checked out...the vet took a quick look and asked the usual questions, I told him about the switch to plastic (after asking about diet changes prompted me to actually think about it), he says that it is an allergic reaction to a chemical in plastic and should clear up in about a week once the switch to stainless is made.  Just thought it interesting and would pass it along.

Drool to all in need (we have heaps of it here)

Karen
Rosco (I'm still very handsome even with a yucky nose), Lemmy & Stewie (yay! my chew toy is coming back)