[Dailydrool] toads and frogs and Bufo marinus, Oh My!

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 08:02:18 PDT 2008

My experience. Well, not mine personally since I have not even been tempted
to put a toad or frog in my mouth, but my experience with all my dogs,
including Nigel and Llewis (not known for their brilliance) is that here in
the midwest USA frog and toads are harmless. They exude a nasty nasty
substance when upset and if your dog actually gets one in his or her mouth
she may retch, spit, cough, sneeze and foam at the mouth but the chances
that he or she will go far enough to bite down are extremely limited. The
dog may also develop a healthy respect for hoppers after that, playing with
them but not picking them up...(Unless it is Nigel orLlewis who seem to play
"double dare" with the poor toads in our yard.)

In the south US there IS a huge posionous toad called *Bufo marinus* which I
believe requires Veterinary intervention, but I am not sure about it.

If you live in Africa, South America, Australia or New Guinea, you are on
your own.

MomPerson to Nigel and Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper