[Dailydrool] Flat basset & 'Pedigree Dogs Exposed'

Hilary Stevens hilaryjane at msn.com
Wed Aug 20 09:21:12 PDT 2008

Ha Linda!

It was only a matter of time.  Millie's learnt to flat basset from Alfie so its generally a nightmare on the return leg of walks.  There really is no moving the lump. They almost pulled me over the other day when a rather skinny looking pheasant charged past.  Millie was beside herself, and with two of them pulling I had a job to stay upright.

Did any of the UK droolers watch pedigree dogs exposed last night on TV?  The Kennel Club have posted a reply to the programme on their website.  They showed how a basset generally looked years ago and noted how the ears were much longer now and there was much more loose skin.  The reporter asked a basset show judge how the loose skin assisted its 'job purpose' and she couldn't say.

One of breeders (not of bassets) said that working dogs were sometimes different than show dogs (for example, german shepherds that tend to be much lower in the back leg for show dogs).   Thought that odd.  Alfie's breeder had told me they were judged in terms of their ability to perform the role they were bred for, and this was reflected in the breed standard.  Big hoo ha about in-breding too and the reduction in the gene pool. I don't know enough about it to make an informed opinion but it was really interesting.

Hilary