[Dailydrool] I think Leo was stung by a bee

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 14:42:50 PDT 2008

Mary,

Benadryl was exactly the right thing to give poor Leo.  Some dogs have an
allergic reaction to bee stings, just like some people do.  I was a nurse
for years and Benadryl is exactly what we gave for most allergic reactions,
including bee stings.  It works the same for doggies.  My Copper is allergic
to fleas, and when his little sis brought some home last year, we had to
give him Benadryl for weeks.  Benadryl will treat any histamine reaction
(allergic reaction) from running nose and puffy eyes to bites, stings, and
contact allergies (like from plants etc.).

In the unfortunate event that Leo gets stung again, and you need the
swelling to go down right away, Benadryl makes dissolve-on-your-tongue doses
that go into the system really fast.  Benadryl can be taken every 4-6 hours,
and the dosage should be 25mg for dogs under 50lbs and 50mg for doges over
50lbs.

My Copper gets really sleepy when I have to give him Benadryl, which is
saying a lot because he is normally a champion napper as it is.  Benadryl
also seems to make him more thirsty and less hungry, but that wears off
pretty quick.

Hope Leo feels better soon!

Brenda momslave to Copper, Elphaba, and Aeryn (ATB)