[Dailydrool] collars

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:00:31 PDT 2008

All my Bassets wear Martingale collars in and out of the show ring (since I
am not showing it makes little difference--those show collars cost a
fortune!!!) Martingales do not tighten enough to choke and they tighten just
enough so a dog cannot back out of them. In the show ring I think it helps
to keep their heads up. Well I know it does. It is more humane than a choke
chain and i think it gives better control.
Mine do NOT wear collars of any kind  in the house and/or yard. The way my
boy Bassets play I consider any collar a very real danger. I have seen dogs
with snapped jaws from getting caught in another dog's collar during play
and I have comforted people whose other dog died, strangled to death before
the twisted collar could be removed. They twist so tightly you cannot unhook
them (no slack) and you cannot even get a knife blade underneath to cut it.
It happens so fast that by the time you know it is happening, you are
probably too late to save one dog. It is one of my many doggie phobias.
And with that cheery thought, toodles.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper (Who actually does wear a
leather buckle collar 24/7)