[Dailydrool] My precious Baylie!

Monique Merola merolas at cox.net
Mon Aug 25 19:08:46 PDT 2008

Dear Drooler Family,

It will be 8 years ago on September 23rd that my husband and I took in our
first foster for AZ Basset Hound Rescue.  Dena and Walt (the
founder/President of AZBHR at that time) was fostering her and going out of
town for Nationals and needed someone to keep her fosters for the weekend,
so we stepped up and took Baylie, (named Serenity at that time).  Well, she
crawled into my husband's lap and in 5 minutes we KNEW we were adopting her!
She was rescued from Tucson, AZ from a lady that was trying to breed her and
she wouldn't have it!  She is our Alpha girl.  Well, one year ago exactly
she was diagnosed with Apocrine Gland Adenocarcinoma.  She did surgery to
remove her left anal sac and the tumor and she underwent 5 rounds of
Carboplatin chemo and then developed eye ulcers and had eye surgery in
January.  February through July she was our "normal" old girl.......happy,
tail waggin', eating and romping in the grass.  The last few weeks have been
hell on all of us.  The chest x-rays don't show any metastasis, but the
ultrasound shows fluid all surrounding her kidneys......an aspirate showed
no cancer, but it was all blood........we don't see any tumors at all, which
is the weird thing, but it could be a flat laying tumor that is oozing blood
or a blood clot/aneurysm somewhere, either way, she will probably have a
stroke or the aneurysm will blow and she will pass in her sleep.  She is
eating gingerly (lots of home cooking, of course and lots of holistic
supplements), but she has lost that sparkle in her eye that she always had.
We know our hours/days are limited and were hoping that our Drool family
woiuld please keep us in their prayers, if your the praying kind.  I only
find solace in knowing she will go be with my first Basset, Barnie and run
and play again and eat at the buffet at The Bridge, but gosh it sure leaves
a huge hole in my heart and she isn't even gone yet.  I want to thank all of
you for your support and love during this difficult time, but I know so many
of you have "been there, done that" and know my pain.  My 3 year old son is
so sad.  He only understands that Baylie is sick is going to go see Jesus
soon.  I have a Vet to come to house to help us if/when the time comes and I
have meds on hand to make her comfortable if she does have a stroke or start
bleeding or anything........but gosh, this is so hard right now......the
anticipatory grief is dreadful!  Thank GOD for Skipper, Jennie, Joey and
Sophie Jo as they are a huge comfort to us right now!  Along with our foster
Verbena.  She's an oldie with issues too, so she helps me knowing we are
saving another lost soul.  Anyways, I'm rambling........I want to thank
AZBHR and specifically Dena for rescuing Baylie back in 2000 and want to
thank all of you who do rescue work for without you all I would not have my
precious Alpha girl Baylie (Baylor Butts).........if anyone has Dena's
e-mail please forward this to her!  I lost her e-mail when my computer
crashed last year and we had to get a new one!  ; (  My thoughts and prayers
are with each and every one of you who have lost a baby or have a sick
baby.....I truly know how you feel and wish I could just hug you!

Luv,
Monique Merola
AZBHR volunteer, Foster Mom, Media Coordinator and whatever else I find time
to do!  : )