[Dailydrool] The World According to Norm - Snakes

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Mon Aug 25 19:35:34 PDT 2008

It's me again - Norm!

Now that I am one year old, I know a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff.  One
thing I thought I knew all about was snakes - but I learned something new
today.

This is what I already knew - my dad has a big green snake that he keeps in
a box in the back yard.  Mom gets this snake out and squeezes its head to
make water come out to give her flowers a drink.  Sometimes, if I look like
I might be thinkin' about eating a rock, Mom squeezes the snake's head
really hard and squirts water at me.  Then, Dad puts this twirly thingy on
the snake's head and it squirts water round and round in a big circle.  Opie
and I like to chase the water sometimes - but we really like to grab the
snake and move the twirly thingy.  Dad makes us stop 'coz he says we will
make the snake leak.

Dad also has a medium size brown snake that lives all curled up on the side
of the house by the driveway.  Mom uses this snake to give her other flowers
a drink (she has 2435 nickzillion hanging baskets).  But this snake has a
special job - it helps Dad wash the van and the truck.  Dad puts a funny hat
on the snake and then pushes the snake all over the van.  The snake foams at
the mouth and then the van gets clean.  Dad also uses this snake when we get
a bath outside.  I really like this snake 'coz warm water comes out of its
mouth.

Then today, I learned about another snake.  This snake was itty-bitty
teeny-weeny and it lives under a big pine tree in my big back yard.  I was
just mosey-ing around, sniffin' and explorin' this morning when I saw it.
At first, I thought it was a stick - oh boy - a new stick and Opie didn't
see it yet!  When I went over to it and tried to pick it up - it MOVED!
WAIT - STICKS DON'T WIGGLE AND MOVE!  I stopped - I watched - I tried again!
It moved again!  Then, Opie had to come over and put his fat nose into my
snake exploration - I yelled at him.  That was a mistake 'coz it made Mom
look out there to see what we were doing.  Sure enough - she came all the
way out there in her bare feet and jammies - this was not going well.  Let
me tell you, when she saw that snake - well, I didn't know she could move
that fast.  My tougher-than-nails Mom is scared of itty-bitty teeny-weeny
wiggly snakes!!

Anyway, she made me and Opie go in the house and she made Dad move the snake
out of my yard.   If the little snake is out there tomorrow, I'm not going
to yell at Opie, so Mom won't find out.

Drools to ya!

Norm (and the rest of the Red Bay Gang)

Grady, Hoagie, Johnny & Opie

Sandi Wittenberg - Mom to the Red Bay Basset Boys