[Dailydrool] Barkley got skunked

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 08:37:11 PDT 2008

Waldo was skunked a few times after investigating dark corners of our yard. It seems that he's now guiding our neighbor's dogs from The Bridge, as they've been skunked three times in the 6 weeks Waldo has been gone. (I would have preferred it if he had passed on some of his more lovable traits, but he always was perverse...)

Here's the recipe we used; I got it from someone on the Drool years ago. Good luck with Barkley!

Ingredients
  *  1 quart (or liter) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2.
      Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide eventually turns into water (H2O).
    * 1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
    * 1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of Liquid Soap
    * 1 pair of plastic or latex gloves

Process
    * Bathe the dog outside or, if it's too dark or cold, in the bathroom with the door closed and window opened.
    * Combine the ingredients in an open container (do not store in a sealed bottle--it will explode).
    * Using gloves, wash your dog with lukewarm water and the mixture while the mixture is bubbling. Work the mixture well into the fur.
    * Be sure to concentrate on the area that was sprayed.
    * Keep mixture away from your dog's face and eyes (it's a harsh solution). (If your dog has been sprayed in the face, try Tricotine Liquid Douche Concentrate or any over-the-counter douche.)
    * Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes or so before rinsing off.
    * Rinse the dog with lukewarm tap water. Don't wash the mixture into your dog's eyes (use a washcloth to cover the eyes if you're rinsing the head).
    * After bathing, check your dog's eyes. If they are red and watering, your dog may have taken a direct hit in the face. Skunk spray won't blind the dog, but it's very painful. Contact a vet.

Esther Strom and Waldo (ATB 07/18/2008)