[Dailydrool] Hello from laramie!

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 14:23:39 PDT 2008

Hi droolers!
It's Katie and Watson pawing in from Wyoming - that's right! Watson
has made the move with me back to school in Wyoming! We've been here
for three whole days and we're sort of starting to think about
settling in. I moved houses and this one is Watson-friendly. I live
with another law student who has a cat named Benny who does note
appreciate dogs. Watson has never encountered a cat before and seems
to think that Benny is a play-pal. So, we're adjusting to that as well
as Watson being the only dog in the house. I know that Watson prefers
to be with me when I'm home, but while I'm at class I feel guilty that
he's all by himself. Having another dog right now is just out of the
question, but I could always send him back to my parents house. He
doesn't seem too depressed I don't think. He whines for about 10 or 15
minutes every morning when I leave (so says my roommate) and then he's
quiet until he hears someone walking around in the house. On Tuesdays
and Thursdays I have 5 straight hours of class, but then I'm home at
1pm for the rest of the day. Do you think I should send him back to my
parent's house? He has his buddy/mommadog there who he plays with and
hangs out with while everyone is gone - but everyone is gone for 8
hours at least - usually 10. I'm a fulltime student who really is only
gone for a max of 5 or 6 hours a day...but like I said, there are no
dogs here. I also wonder if he'll get bored. I have to read a lot -
and yesterday he was whining and barking at me to play while I was in
the middle of studying for class. I did get up to play with him, and
we went on two long walks yesterday but I was up because of all of the
interruptiosn until 11 pm reading for class and then I had to wake up
at 6:30 this morning to get ready for class. How, oh knowledgeable
droolers, will I know that Watson is bored so much that he would be
better off at home? Are there certain indications that I need to watch
for? And are there any strategies on how to keep a single basset boy
entertained while I have to study? There is a doggy daycare here in
Laramie, and I am thinking about maybe seeing if he can go there twice
a week (like those days I have to study) but if there are more
economical options, I would love to hear them :)

Also, I know that a few days ago there was someone asking how to
introduce a cat to dogs who were used to cats, but are there any
strategies on how to get Watson to stop barking at/obsessing over the
cat, and how getting the cat to be a little less hostile towards
Watson? I think what could happen in the winter is that I would leave
Watson inside while I'm gone, and I would like to just let him have
the run of the upstairs. However, I fear that Benny will come up
(roommate lives in the basement), and Watson will see him and chase
him. I'm also worried that once feeling threatened, Benny will scratch
Watson (Benny still has his claws) or bite him. I don't think Watson
would react violently to being bitten by the cat, I think he would cry
and yelp and then proceed to bleed all over the house. I also wonder
if Benny would stop attacking or if he would just beat Watson until
Watson finally defended himself....thoughts? Benny can get over the
baby gate that blocks the stairs to get upstairs (no door) but he
doesn't seem too keen on getting over it to go back downstairs.
Another thing I could do is just lock Watson in my room while I am
gone - and that would avoid issues. That's probably what I will end up
doing, but I was just wondering if there were any ways to get dogs to
leave cats alone who want nothing to do with them. If Watson would
stop obessing, I think they could co-exist without issues. It's just
that I can't seem to think of a way to get Watson to stop obessing.

Other than that, we're doing well in Laramie. School is not harder
this year - there's just more work to do, and we probably have about
another month of fal  before snow so that's good! Watson has been a
little picky about eating but I think that's probably because of the
new house and the new schedule - he eventually eats, he's just not as
motivated to scarf as he is at my parents house - there is also less
incentive to eat quickly since there are no other dogs lurking nearby
waiting to eat Watson's leftovers.

Anyway, I just caught up on drools after having a computer crash
tragedy and the move and the start of school...man! I hope it slows
down here soon! Sorry this is so long! I guess i had more to say than
I thought I did :)

We send love and drool and sweet snooters kisses to all those sick
houndies, their worried parents, the sick 2 leggers, and those whose
babies have gone to the bridge. We've lit candles every night for good
measure since we've been so far behind on drools.

Love,
Katie and Watson (I don't hab to share the couch or my mommy! nah na
nah na booo booo)