[Dailydrool] Runaway Bassets/collar failure

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 15:01:34 PDT 2008

I do not use any collar on a Basset that is not a Martingale because they
can pull out of anything. I don't know how they do it but they do, and I
have had it happen every time  I have used a buckle collar, and I have had
properly fitted prong collars just fall right off. The right sized Martigale
will not close and choke your dog but will pull tight enough to not slide
over that hard, devious head.
I have lost Mitchell on a buckle collar twice. The first time was my fault
and was horrible enough but the second time we were on a public dog walk for
a shelter and he simply backed up and went off to visit a cutie girl dog he
had seen. I didn't even know he was gone until I turned to see why he was
trotting along so nicely. (He was much younger).

Whatever you pay for a martingale collar is it worth it. It takes weeks to
get over the massive adrenalin dump your body produces when you look down
and discover your dog is a half a block away courting someone's pit bull.

MomPerson to Nigel,Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper