[Dailydrool] peeing in crate

Alison Becker ambecker10 at msn.com
Sun Aug 31 15:10:59 PDT 2008

You know, Max, my now permanent foster, will pee in his crate. . .if there is a blanket in there.  If it is just the hard plastic, he is fine. I feel bad about the hardness of it, but I am sure hard plastic is better for Max than sleeping on a urine soaked blanket all day.

Max was horribly abused as a stud in a puppy mill, so I am sure he spent considerable amount of time in a crate and probably had to "go" in his bedding.  When he doesn't have bedding, he doesn't go.  The same is true in the house.  He won't do anything on any of the "hard" floors, but give him a rug or carpet or even a sheet on the floor and he feels is is fair game.  I feel this is an issue of him just training me.

I love Max more than I can ever say and it thrills me beyond words that we will be together for the rest of his life. . .no matter that I need to rip up every fiber of carpet in my life.

I'm not sure if this can help with the crate training, but I just thought of it when I read MomPerson's message.  Maybe try it without the blanket. Alison

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:28:59 -0500From: bgszap at gmail.comTo: dailydrool at dailydrool.orgSubject: [Dailydrool] peeing in crate

 I know WHY he does it but I don't know how to tell you to re-train him. He has been in a kennel or crate too long, no matter how long it was, and has had to pee in the crate whether he wanted to or not, and there was not any correction. (I do not mean punishment. I mean there was no one to train  him otherwise.)
He got out just often enough to learn he didn't need to poop in the crate, or maybe he WAS crate trained and has forgotten. He's a baby.
Hopefully someone with a better  training brain will email in with some directions, but I am sure it is a problem than can be pretty easily corrected.

MomPerson with Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper