[Dailydrool] Ears

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Wed Dec 3 15:51:01 PST 2008

1.  Cleaning ears.  Use some form of liquid ear cleaner,
either
a commercial product, one from your vet,, or Blue Power Ear
Treatment.  For routine cleaning, I use a 50/50 mix of rubbing
alcohol and vinegar.  Squirt the cleaner into the ear until the
ear
canal is full.  Try to convince your hound to hold still
while you
massage the base of the ear for a while.  Most bassets
like this and
will moan and lean into your hand.  Let go of the
basset's head, but
don't let him run off.  He will shake his
head like crazy.
Cleaner will go flying all over.  This is
a good thing.  Then
use a piece of gauze or tissue or cotton
ball to wipe out the ear.
Do not use Q-tips except to get the
outer parts of the ear canal where you
can easily see.

2.  Can you use soap and
water?  Yes.  You can
use soap and water on the "ear
leather" to clean off the
crud.  You can also use baby-wipes or
a damp washcloth.  If
the crud is dried on, I find the easiest way to
get it off is to comb
it off with a stripping stone, stripping knife,
Furminator or similar
tool.

3.  Keeping ears clean.
The only way I
know of is to put a snood on the hound when he is engaging
in messy
activities like eating or taking a walk in the mud.

crazy
basset lady

MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to