[Dailydrool] advice for a senior and a Gotcha Day!

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Wed Dec 3 11:44:29 PST 2008

I am looking for some advice for my sweet senior Sidney who is at least 13
and probably 14 yrs old. Just recently Sid is starting to show some signs of
canine dementia.  He has intermittent housetraining oopses, seems to get
disoriented outside, and gets very restless and agitated at night.  He has
had a thorough vet exam with bloodwork.  We did find a UTI which was
thoroughly treated and now all his exams are great- amazingly good for a dog
his age.  We started him on Anipryl several weeks again and that has
improved the oopses but not totally.  The pacing and agitation at night
continue.  He is still a bit disoriented outside but all I need to do is to
wave to him from the door to remind him where to come back in.  We are
seeing the vet today to take another look and consider if we should start
him on some pain medication to help make him more comfortable.  He does have
some arthritis.  Just wondering if anyone can think of any other ideas.  Sid
is happy and affectionate and is very much enjoying his life so I want to
give him all help we can.

The second news bit is to formally announce that Hank is nottafosteranymore!
Hank was officially adopted into the family this past weekend.  Evidently we
are ordained to always have a foster so Gunner joined the household too.
Just can't stand to have any dogs in the overload kennel at Holiday time!
By the way, Gunner is a cute little 10 month old puppy.  An interesting
addition given the rest of our hounds are middle aged/senior.  He is cute as
the dickens and on the petite side.  If you think you might be in the market
for a new addition AND you live in the BBR adoption area (MN, WI, northern
IL) OR you just want to see his picture, send me an email and I will send
his adoption flyer.

Lisa and the MN Woofers,

Ella Marie, Sidney, Hank (not a foster anymore),

and foster Gunner, the new kid on the block