[Dailydrool] Red eyes

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Thu Dec 4 10:04:22 PST 2008

Bambi,

I was a worried momma too when my little Sophie looked up at me and her
eyes had turned from brown to BLOOD!  They were so very red and
bloodshot, and she seemed irritated by them, as in she would paw over
them and kinda lick her paw over and over.  It was obvious it was making
her very uncomfortable.  The cure?  Visine eye drops and 2 tsp. of
children's benadryll every 4 or 5 hours around the clock until it went
away...which was almost immediate.  I saw improvements within the first
day, and her eyes were totally clear within about 3 or 4 days, I guess.
It was such a big relief for her. (even though you'd have thought I was
trying to remove her eye instead of put drops in it if you would have
seen the lengths she would go to to prevent me from getting near her!!)
If it's not allergies, then the drops won't hurt, they may actually feel
soothing and moisturizing, no matter what is causing the irritation.  I
would certainly check with your vet, of course, but just thought you may
want to give it a try.  Every so often, I see her eyes getting red and
itchy again, depending on what is pollinating at the time, and I just
start her on the drops and benadryll...works like a charm.  All total I
think I spent about $5.

 Jessica L. Sutton