[Dailydrool] Walks - Doing it right

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Tue Dec 9 17:41:32 PST 2008

Bev - Sounds like you are doing it right!  When dogs are taught to walk
properly on a leash, there will not be pulling.  I walk mine on soft woven
slip collars and a flexi and I am never pulled or jerked.  Occasionally,
someone will decide to try to take a detour, but a quick snap of the lead is
sufficient to remind them that the alpha is on the other end of the lead.
BUT - it is all in the training and taking the time to do the training.   I
have used a Halti lead but only for behavioral correction when I was having
trouble with a "boy" being a "bully" - that took about two days to correct
that issue.  Harnesses have a purpose and place - they are necessary for
tracking, field work etc. and for safety purposes they are valuable when
hiking etc.  But for everyday walks, they are a poor substitute for proper
lead training.   I have had many people tell me that they can't get their
basset to walk on a lead.  I usually have them bring them to me, I work with
them for 15 minutes or so, and usually they are walking nicely beside me at
the end of that time.   You cannot train a basset to walk properly with a
wide belt collar or a harness - you lose your leverage with either of those.
So, for all of you who feel like your basset is taking you for a walk, I
encourage you to invest in a slip collar or martingale and a bit of
training.  A basic obedience class can teach you how to train your basset to
walk properly beside you and follow basic commands.  Then, everyone can
enjoy the walks and not come home with sore arms.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com