[Dailydrool] Neediness

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 10:52:02 PST 2008

Copper has stopped the rubbing all over me when I get home, but for going on
two weeks now he climbs into my lap whenever I sit down. His place on the
couch has always been right next to me, either with his head on my lap or
with his rum pressed up against my thigh. All of a sudden, after almost two
years of having him, he's decided his rightful place is in my lap. Every
time I sit down he climbs up in my lap, batting my arm out of the way with
his head if he has to. Then he settles down and goes right off to sleep,
snoring loudly unusually. If I get up for any reason, say when my legs go
numb, or I want a soda, he waits for me to get back and then crawls right
back in.

I have no problem with this behavior, I believe all dogs should be lapdogs,
even my 160lb Alaskan Malamute Sitka (ATB 1993) climbed in my lap all the
time, and my lap was considerably smaller then. Elphaba, our 2 1/2 year old
is a total lap dog, or shoulder dog, or back dog, or... well she will sit or
lay on any part of your body she can access, but she really prefers the
teenageslave's lap to mine. I just find it funny that Copper would start up
this new behaviour out of no where after two years with us, especially since
it appears it's going to be a common behavior now and not a passing fancy.

Go figure. Maybe our bassets have all picked up on how bad the economy is
here, and in the rest of the world, and how many poor houndies are homeless
or in shelters at the moment, and they are just showing us how much they
appreciate the slaves they have. Maybe, little empaths that they are, they
hear the world crying out from everywhere as people are tortured and killed
for daring to believe, think, or act different that what the "sanctioned"
practices are. Perhaps the collective feeling of grief has reached them and
they are coming to us for reassurance. Poor things don't realize most
of "humanity" hasn't felt it yet.

Brenda- Momslave to Copper and Elphaba