[Dailydrool] Basset Rescuing

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:09:21 PST 2008

Several days ago Carmen posted three links to three bassets in Tx in need of
rescuing. She'd arraigned to rescue the Sr, guy herself, but she wanted to
know if anyone else could pull the other two if things got dire. I've seem
many similar postings on the drool over the years, and this one struck me as
not at all unusual.

I checked on all three Bassets, determined their situations, and contacted
two friends in Tx (San Antonio and Dallas) respectively who work with
rescues (French Bulldog and Dachshund but rescue people are rescue people).
They vowed to do what they could if the situation became dire. During this
time I also e-mailed with Carmen because she had been keeping up on the
status of the hounds. The female may have had an owner out of town, and
there was a waiting list to adopt her anyway, so she looked safe. I
concentrated on the boy.

In the meantime Carmen got her Kelvin's adoption finished, finding out what
bad shape he was in, and posted to let us all know that she'd gotten him and
he would be safe now. I posted back, congratulating her, and offering to
send Kelvin (and her other dogs of diff breeds, all rescues) some yummy
treats to help put some weight on him. This was a completely unsolicited
offer, and I would have done it for anyone, rescue member or not who needed
my help with their animals when I had the means to provide it.

I don't know what off-line conversations other droolers had with Carmen, so
I can not speak to those, but I know that she never solicited so muck as a
penny from me at any time, or even suggested that her dogs had needs I could
help her with. Her sole concern in our conversations were that the others
dogs in "kill" shelters got out.

Any animal rescuer who puts the needs of their rescues before their own, as
most of us do, weather part of a large rescue organization, or as one-human
team to do their best and save as many as they can, deserve our respect and
support in my opinion.  Regardless of any missteps she might have made in
her communications, she's doing her best with the very little she has, and I
believe she deserves the respect and support of this group as much as any
other.

What are we all here for if not for the animals, yes mostly the bassets, but
we have many "blended" families in this group to. A large basset rescue
group with teams of volunteers and fundraisers is no more or less worthy of
our support than the loan family filling up their yard with the ones who
might otherwise have slipped through the cracks.

If we loose this member I believe we loose a large piece of that this
group is meant to be, and the loss will be as much to us as to her, and even
more to the Bassets.

I started working with Basset Rescues large and small after a complete
stranger helped me with my lovely Aeryn (ATB) a few years ago. She never
asked me if I was a 501c charity, never asked anything except what did
my baby need and what she could do to help. If interested, you can read the
story at my blog, it's a bit long to post here
http://stolenseasons.blogspot.com/ the post is called "The Kindness of
Strangers"

Brenda- Momperson to Copper, Elphaba, and Aeryn (ATB)