[Dailydrool] Senior Basset Question

ABC's Slobber Shoppe merchandise at nybasset.org
Tue Dec 16 07:54:35 PST 2008

My beloved old guy, Doc, is 12 1/2 years old. During the night, while
he's sleeping in bed with us, our 2 cats play in the living room down
the hall. They meow, they roll around, play with their toys, etc.
They've done this every night for the last 6 years, never a problem.

For the last 2 weeks, when they start meowing and playing, Doc will
wake up and start stirring. He'll stand on top of my chest panting and
shaking. Similar to his reaction during thunderstorms and fireworks.

Does anyone have any idea why cat's meowing would freak him out?

I've tried shutting the bedroom door and playing the radio to drown
them out. I even had "cops" on full blast last night on the bedroom TV
so he'd fall asleep. That seemed to work, but no one else could fall
asleep :)

Any ideas?

Shelly Gordon
ABC Basset Hound Rescue