[Dailydrool] making hounds barf

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 07:40:50 PST 2008

When your dog eats something it is not supposed to have eaten,
say....chocolate...you can make them barf it up if you catch it within about
30 minutes, at least this is what I have always been told by Doc .Beyond
that time, it is probably too late. Also be sure it is something that should
be barfed up-- nothing caustic that will burn the esophagus or mouth on the
way back up, and nothing that might jam into the linings, such as splintered
grape popsicle sticks, needles, glass...like that. Splintery things can be
helped along by feeding a  great deal of bread to surround and cushion the
object but it has to be done quickly-- I mean, several hours later won't
help. (No, we never ever found the popsicle stick.Never.)

If you aren't sure don't induce vomiting until you have talked to a Vet, ER
or otherwise. Once you do you still have to check the pukeage to be sure
what was et has reappeared in one form or another. And if it is something
really dangerous-- rat poison springs to mind-- your dog is going to need
follow-up treatment from your Vet even if you think you got him to vomit it
all back up. If I had a dime for every time at work we have had rat poison
dogs in, I could really retire, so they  do eat it. And it really can kill
them. Ditto anti-freeze, as we all know.

I have gotten mine to puke using peroxide and water and once using salt and
water. Ipecac requires knowing the dosage. I have also administered peroxide
and water and waited forever for nothing. If the dog doesn't puke pretty
quickly, give it some more. The easiest way is to keep a 20cc syringe on
hand and (no needle, no needle!!!) jam it in the corner the mouth and
squirt. Otherwise, good luck. Been there. Done that. It's a great way to
spend a morning....

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper