[Dailydrool] The brains aren't in yet...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Mon Dec 22 18:15:56 PST 2008

 ...even if she does seem calmer most of the time and isn't the Evil Wild Child of days gone by.? Miss Daisy Belle Waddlehound, gurlfurend of Arfur (and occasional co-instigator of Dudley's Dastardly Deeds) turns three years old tomorrow, Dec. 23rd.? Other than the usual pre-dinnertime Basset 500 and Barkfest competition between her, Dudley and Dozer, she mostly stays out of trouble these days.? I had the foolish notion that she might, at last, have taken possession of her Big Gurl Brains.? Nope...

Last night, a few minutes before Basset dinnertime Daisy came moping over to the Dadslave and I, walking slowly, holding up one paw and wanting to bed petted and loved on, particulary asking for bellyrubs.? She seemed also to be "shivering."? We had both just returned home, me from work and the Dadslave from an extended errand.?

I checked her over looking for an injury of some sort, especially the leg she seemed to be favoring.? I checked her belly to be sure it wasn't distended or taut in early bloat and gave her a "just in case" dose of Gas-X.? No retching but she did let out a couple of good-sized belches within a couple of minutes.? I saw no evidence that she had gotten into anything; no strewn about garbage or opened packages of anything.?

She turned up her nose at dinner but was willing to eat a few pieces of handfed people food.? She went outside -it's only in the 20's here - did her business and came immediately back in, then went upstairs with us to bed where she wanted to snuggle in between the Dadslave and I in bed and have her belly rubbed.? The only thing I noticed while rubbing her belly was that her pulse rate seemed a bit rapid.? She wasn't panting or exhibiting any difficulty breathing, however.? She stayed on the bed for half the night, then jumped down and curled up in her own bed.? This morning she was fine.

It wasn't until early this afternoon when I went into the cupboard for the 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips which I keep on the very top pantry shelf, a good four and a half feet off the floor, and somewhere where she has never been able to reach before that I discovered the cause of her malady.? The chips had vanished!?? Sigh... Note to self. Chocolate chips go into UPPER cupboard in sealed storage container.? Thank Dawg she just had an episode of a stomache ache and the jitters secondary to the caffeine-like substance in them.? Word of caution...NEVER underestimate the determination of a canine chocoholic...and Basset "speed."
Feeling grateful it wasn't worse - and still praying for two sets of Basset brains...

Seriously, so glad our? little gurl is alright and glad every day that she found her way into our lives and made Droolers out of us...

Sandi, Mamaslave to The Belles and The Boys
Daisy - I REALLY like chocolate...
Delilah - I told her she was gonna get in trouble...
Dozer - Wasn't worth the trouble - I prefer meat
Dudley - I might have helped her procure them...

?Sandi / NJMedic702